Carlos P. Tatel Jr., PhD
Chair, Department of Anthropology
Room No. 1324
University of the Philippines – Diliman
Tel:+63 (2) 981-8500 loc 2114
Carlos Peña Tatel, Jr. holds various academic degrees from the University of the Philippines Diliman – PhD in Anthropology, MA in Archaeology and BA in History. He is an Associate Professor of the Department of
Anthropology, College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of his academic training, his research interests and intellectual endeavors cut across many disciplines and areas of study such as heritage, material culture, ethnohistory, religion, visual anthropology, history of anthropology/historical anthropology, folklore, applied anthropology, Southeast Asian anthropology and indigenization of Social Science. His first edited book entitled Ethnographies of Disaster: the 2009 Anthropology Fieldschool in Tiwi, Albay was published by Aquinas University of Legazpi in 2011.
He heads the college Folklore Studies Program and is program producer/host of a weekly campus radio program, Tabi-tabi Fokloradyo at DZUP 1602. In the graduate school, he teaches Special Problems in Philippine Cultural Anthropology, while in the undergraduate level, he handles Social Anthropology, Anthropology of Religion, and Foundations of Behavioral Social Sciences. He has contributed articles in international and local publications as well as presented academic papers in foreign and national conferences. He also serves as a member in committees on heritage in UP Diliman as well as in the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.
- “Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (2014). “Anthropology and Sociology at UP: Lessons from an Academic Union, 1914-1951,” Philippine Sociological Review Vol. 62 (January – December).
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (2013). “Hala Bira! Cultural Lessons from Philippine Elections.” http://halalan.up.edu.ph/index.php/viewpoints/by-professors/159-hala-bira-halalan-cultural-lessons-from-philippine-elections.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (with Arthur Navarro). (2012) “Lucky Plaza sa Singapore.” Dalumat: Multikultural at Multidisiplinaryong E-Journal sa Araling Filipino. Tomo 3 (1 at 2). Enero at Hunyo.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (2011). “The Non-Western Peoples as Filipinos: Mediating Notions of ‘Otherness’ in Photographs of the National Geographic Magazine of Early 20th century.” Gordon Matthews and Sidney Cheung (Eds.) Asian Anthropology. Volume 11. The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (Editor). (2011). Ethnographies of Disaster: the 2009 UP Anthropology Fieldschool Tiwi, Albay. Aquinas University of Legazpi, Legazpi, Albay. July, 2011.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (with Soledad Natalia Dalisay). (2011). “The ravaging storm: Providing an anthropological lens to the study of disasters in two barangays in Tiwi, Albay.” In Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (ed.). Ethnographies of Disaster: the 2009 UP Anthropology Fieldschool Tiwi, Albay. Aquinas University of Legazpi, Legazpi, Albay.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (2010). “90 Years of Anthropology at the University of the Philippines: Examining Institutional History and Academic Dependency in a Southeast Asian University.” In Sinha-Kerkhoff, Kathinka R. and Syed Farid Alatas (Eds.). Academic Dependency in the Social Sciences: Structural Reality and Intellectual Challenges. Manohar Publishers, New Delhi, India.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (with Michael Charleston Chua). (2009).”Sa ibayo ng mga Footnote: Tungo sa Pagsasakasaysayan ng Isyung Tasaday.” In AGHAM-TAO Journal of the Ugnayang Agham-Tao. Vol. 17.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (2005). “Ang Usapin ng Historical Archaeology sa Pag-aaral ng Nakaraang Pilipino,” in LAGDA: Refereed Journal of the UP Department of Filipino and Philippine Literaturticlee (Ang Filipino sa Iba’t Ibang Disiplina). 184-213.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (2003). “Ang Artifakt at Dokumento bilang Teksto ng Kasaysayan: Isang Pagpo-pook sa Historical Archaeology sa kunteskto ng Nakaraang Pilipino,” in TEST PIT 2(1).
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (2001). “Paglilinang ng Kabihasnan at Bayan (with Ma. Bernadette Abrera and Fe Mangahas),” in Ferdinand Llanes at Jaime Veneracion, et.al (eds.) Kasaysayang Bayan: Sampung Aralin sa Kasaysayang Pilipino. Quezon City: NHI at ADHIKA.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (1998). “Ang Paghuhukay sa mga Labi ng Porta Vaga: Isang Kaso ng Pagsasagawa ng Dokyumentaryong Arkeolohiya sa Lungsod ng Cavite,” sa HUKAY 1:1. 1998