Rolando C. Esteban, MA
Room No. 1324
University of the Philippines – Diliman
Tel:+63 (2) 981-8500 loc 2114
Geographical Areas: Mindanao; Insular Southeast Asia
Rolando C. Esteban is a reader in cultural gerontology for a PhD in Anthropology. He teaches social anthropology and edits the Philippine Social Sciences Review. His interests include frontier/pioneer settlements in Mindanao, maritime migration/marine wandering, cross-border crossing in Island Southeast Asia, folklore, and everyday and politicized ethnicity.
2004 MA History
1983 AB History
1980 AB Anthropology
|Books||Articles in Books||Articles in Journals||Creative Essays||Researches|
- Co-Author. Folktales from Southern Philippines. Anvil
- Co-author. Mga Kuwentong Bayan Mula sa Timog ng Pilipinas. Anvil
- Co-Editor. Frank G. Rivera. Makata sa Cellphone. Manila: University of Santo Tomas
Editor. Arthur P. Casanova. The Kambayoka Book: The First Thirty Years of the Sining Kambayoka of the Mindanao State University. Manila: University of Santo Tomas Publishing
- Author. The Kalibugans: Moros of Zamboanga Peninsula. Manila: University of Santo Tomas Publishing House.
- Co-Author. Mindanao Folktales. Navotas: National Bookstore.
- Co-Author. Mga Kuwentong-Bayan ng Mindanao. Navotas: National Bookstore.
- “Paghahanap ng Lupain at Diaspora”. Translated by Arthur Casanova. In: Sulib: Mga Usapin ng Pagkabansa. ADHIKA and NCCA. pp. 86-98.
- “The Mindanao Crisis.” In: Reclaiming the Balance: Indigenous Peoples, Conflict Resolution and Sustainable Development. Edited by Victoria Tauli-Corpus and Joji Carińo. Manila: Tebtebba and Third World Network. pp. 197-212.
- “Tradition and Modernity.” In: Gender Gap Audit Toolkit for Social Investigation. Quezon City: Miriam College-Women and Gender Institute. pp. 149-165.
- “From Fear Hatred and Harm to Diversity, Safety and Affirmation.” In: Quilted Sightings: A Reader in Women and Gender Studies. Quezon City: Miriam College-Women and Gender Institute. pp. 131-146.
- “The Revolution in Lanao, 1896-1898.” In: The Revolution in the Provinces. Committee on the National Centennial of the Philippine Revolution and The National Commission on Culture and the Arts.
- “Cultural Contacts and Hybridity.” In: Lingue et Litterae, 8 (2008).
- “Lanao during the Revolution.” In: Ongangn 2/1 (January-June): 8-29.
- “Amaipacpac: 19th Century Maranao Hero.” In: Dansalan Quarterly 28/1-2 (January-June 1998) 14-25.
“Lanao in Mutiny, 1896-1898.” In: Ungangn 1/1, pp. 45-54.
- “Capital and Labor in Plantations in Mindanao and Sulu, 1903-1913.” In: Mindanao Journal 19/1-2 (July and December) 321-354.
- Co-Author. “Lanao: Its Resources and Products, 1900-1940.” In: Mindanao Journal 17/3-4 (January-June) 95-119
- “Dr. Jose Rizal according to Frank G. Rivera.” Introduction. Frank G. Rivera. Jose Rizal: Iba’t Ibang Pagtanaw. Navotas: National Bookstore. pp. ix-xvii.
- “The Didactics of Sin and Redemption.” Introduction. Frank G. Rivera. T.A.O.: Isang Tagulaylay. Manila: University of Santo Tomas Publishing House. pp. xxiii-xxvii.
- “Tungo sa Isang Malikhain at Mapagpalayang Dulang Pambata.” Introduction. Arthur P. Casanova. Mga Dulang Pambata. Manila: University of Santo Tomas. pp. xxi-xxiv.
- “The King of Kitsch.” Introduction. Frank G. Rivera. Darna, Etc. Manila: University of Santo Tomas Publishing House. (Finalist, National Book Award, 2003).
- “Trash of the Day.” Introduction. Gothic Telemovies. Frank G. Rivera. Manila: University of Santo Tomas. (Finalist, National Book Award 2002).
- “Development of a QOL-APO: A Measure of Quality of Life among the Filipino Elderly from the Perspectives of the Elderly, the Family, and Healthcare Providers in the Philippines.” Philippine Council for Health Research and Development, DOST.
- Co-Researcher. “Ivatan Local Indigenous Knowledge and Practices in Disaster Risk Reduction”. UNESCO.
- “The Turtle Islands, Sabah, Malaysia.” (Market Research). WWF-Malaysia.
- “The Yellow Peril: The Japanese Factor in Land Settlement, 1935-1941,” Sumitomo Foundation.
- “The Illanun Diaspora, 1765-1851: An Ethnohistory of Marine Wandering” The Totoya Foundation and the Japan Cultural Center for Asia through the SEASREP.
- “Tradition and Modernity in a Subanen Village,” OXFAM-UK.
- Presenter. “‘Being,’ ‘Doing,’ and ‘Knowing:’ An Ethnography of Everyday Ethnicity.” First International Conference on Visayan Arts and Culture. Cebu City.
- ‘The Conquered:’ A Lacunae in Philippine History That Undercuts the Nation as a Post-Colonial Project.” International Conference on Postcoloniality.
- Discussant. “Modernity and Beyond: Toward a Reframing of Human Security and the Philosophy of Sustainability from Asian Perspectives.” Global Cooperative Center, Osaka University. Bangkok, Thailand.
- Presenter. “Diaspora, Ethnicity, and cross-Border Crossings: The Case of the Illanuns.” 10th Anniversary Conference on Southeast Asia: A Global Crossroads, Southeast Asian Regional Exchange (SEASREP)Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Presenter. “The Making of a Muslim Group.” International Training Workshop on Identity and Social Movements in Muslim Societies, SEPHIS/ISIM, Beirut, Lebanon (Deferred).
- Visiting Scholar. “Social Fission, Diaspora, and Ethnicity among a Southeast Asian Muslim Minority” (Findings from a research funded by The Toyota Foundation and The Japan Center for Asia through the SEASREP, 2004-2005), University Malaysia Sabah, Universiti Malaya Sarawak, The Sabah Society. May-June.
- Presenter. The Ship for Southeast Asia Youth Program Alumni Association, Inc. Ateneo de Manila University and Miriam College.
- Participant. “Asia and the Knowledge Economy: Opportunities and progress.” Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations. Singapore.
- Presenter. “Case Study: The Mindanao Crisis.” Workshop on Conflict Resolution, Peace-Building, and Indigenous Peoples. ICRD and Tebtebba Foundation, Inc., Manila.
- Presenter. “The Quest for Land and Diaspora.” ADHIKA Conference, Nawawalang Paraiso, Tayabas, Quezon, 27-30 November.
- Presenter. “Isang Sulyap: Mindanao, Ekonomiya ni Erap Paano na.” Far Eastern University, Manila. 1996. Presenter. “The Revolution in Lanao, 1896-1898.” The Revolution in the Provinces. National Centennial on the Philippine Revolution and the National Commission on Culture and the Arts. Ateneo de Manila University. Quezon City.
- Participant. “The World of 1896.” National Centennial on the Philippine Revolution and the National Commission on Culture and the Arts. Ateneo de Manila University. Quezon City.
- Presenter. “Mutiny in Lanao, 1896-1898.” Regional Conference on the Revolution in the Provinces. National Centennial on the Philippine Revolution And the National Commission on Culture and the Arts Mindanao State University – Marawi.
- Presenter. “Tagakaolo Resistance to American Rule, Davao Province, Mindanao, 1906.” National Conference on National and Local History. Philippine National Historical Society and MSU-TCTO, Bongao, Tawi-Tawi.
- Presenter. “Capital and Labor in Plantation Agriculture in Mindanao, 1903-1913,” National Conference on National and Local History. National Historical Society and Mindanao State University-Marawi, Mindanao State University-Marawi.