Nestor T. Castro, PhD
Room No. 1324
University of the Philippines – Diliman
Tel:+63 (2) 981-8500 loc 2114
Geographical Areas: Cordillera, Mindoro, Muslim Mindanao, Mainland and Insular Southeast Asia, Melanesia
“Socio-cultural Impacts of Large-scale Migration of Foreign Workers: The Case of a Mining Community in New Caledonia,” Global Journal of Indian History and Culture 1:1 (June 2015): 79-90.
“Culture Current: The Cultural Relevance of Water in the Philippines,” Philippine Panorama (March 22, 2015): 9-10, 23.
“Isn’t Anthropology Already a Multiversalist Discipline? Assessing the Status of Anthropology in Asia,” In Kuhn, Michael and Kazumi Okamoto (eds.), Spatial Social Thought: Local Knowledge in Global Science Encounters. Stuttgart: Ibidem-Verlag, 2013.
“Bagahe ng Pag-aangkat ng mga Dayuhang Konsepto at Modelo,” Saliksik E-Journal, I, 2 (September 2012): 78-81.
- “Ang Muling Pagtatatag sa Kabataang Makabayan, 1984” In Ferdinand C. Llanes (ed.), Tibak Rising: Activism in the Days of Martial Law. Manila: Anvil Publishing, Inc, 2012.
- “Bagahe ng Pag-aangkat ng mga Dayuhang Konsepto at Modelo,” Saliksik E-Journal, 1:2 (September 2012): 78-81.
- Global and International Migration: Realities of Labor Movements and International Marriages. Proceedings of the International Federation of Social Science Organizations (IFSSO) 19th General Conference, 21-23 of November 2009, Pornping Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand. Quezon City: IFSSO, 2011. (Editor)
- “Overseas Workers and the Formation of Multi-ethnic Mining Communities in New Caledonia,” In Nestor T. Castro (ed.), Global and International Migration: Realities of Labor Movements and International Marriages. Proceedings of the International Federation of Social Science Organizations (IFSSO) 19th General Conference, 21-23 of November 2009, Pornping Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand. Quezon City: IFSSO, 2011.
- “The Socio-Cultural Situation in the Philippines,” Colloquium: The New Horizon of Contemporary Sociological Theory 6 (2011): 30-35.
- “The Dananao Kalinga of the Philippines: An Anthropological Study of Cultural Marginalization,” In Carmencita T. Aguilar (ed.), Ethnicity: Socio-Cultural and Economic Challenges. Bangkok: IFSSO,
- “Transforming Forest Ancestral Domains to Eco-tourism Zones: Cases in the Philippines,” In Yekti Maunati, et. al., Towards Sustainable Development in Southeast Asia: From Forest Management to Eco-tourism. Jakarta: Research Centre for Regional Resources-Indonesian Institute of Sciences
- “Kapangyarihan, Awtoridad, at Moralidad sa Imnajbu,” In Consuelo Joaquin-Paz, Gabay sa Fildwurk. Quezon City: The University of the Philippines Press
- “The Need for Cultural Sensitivity in the Mining Industry,” Cap Lamp I, 1 (2005): 9-10.
- Filipino Youth in Transition: A Survey of Urban High School Senior Students. Quezon City: Philippine Social Science Council and UNESCO National Commission of the Philippines, 2004 [With Josefina N. Natividad, Joseph H. Puyat, and Joy B. Page].
- “The Role of Indigenous Peoples in Protected Area Management in the Philippines,” In Carmencita T. Aguilar (ed.), Environmental Protection and Regional Development. Quezon City: IFSSO, 2004.
- “Building the Capacity of Indigenous Peoples in the Philippines: The Philippine Case,” In Robert Doyle, Makha Khittisangka, and Hurriyet Babacan (eds.), Strengthening Community Competence for Social Development: Asia-Pacific Perspectives. Phitsanulok, Thailand: Naresuan University Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, 2003.
- “Indigenous Languages for Development: The Philippine Experience,” In Joseph Lo Bianco (ed.), Development and Language: Global Experiences and Local Effects. Melbourne: Language Australia, Ltd., 2002.
- “The Internationalization of Ethnic Minority Movements in the Philippines,” In Carmencita T. Aguilar (ed.), Political Culture and Globalization. Quezon City: IFSSO, 2002.
- “Shifting Cultivation Practices of the Hanunoo Mangyans, Mindoro Island, Philippines,” In IFAD, IDRC, CIIFAD and IIRR, Shifting Cultivation: Towards Sustainability and Resource Conservation in Asia. Silang, Cavite: IIRR, 2001.
- “Shifting Cultivation Practices of the Hanunoo Mangyans of Mindoro Island,” In Leonardo D. de Castro and Earl Stanley B. Fronda (eds.), Philippine Farming Traditions and Practices: Cooperation, Celebration, Challenges and Change. Quezon City: UP-CSSP and the Presidential Commission for the New Century and the Millenium, 2001.
- “Professional IP’s: Building the Capacity of Indigenous Peoples in Protected Areas (The Philippine Case),” PA Monitor, Special Issue (February 2001): 3-7.
- “The Impact of Science and Technology on the Indigenous Peoples of the Philippines,” In Carmencita T. Aguilar (ed.), The Interface of the Social Sciences and Science and Technology in Development and Modernization. Quezon City: CSSP Publications and IFSSO, 2000.
- “Three Years of the Indigenous Peoples Rights Act: Its Impact on Indigenous Communities,” Kasarinlan XV, 2 (2000): 35-54.
- “A Peek into Cordilleran History, Culture, and Society: In Search of Self-determination,” In Asuncion David Maramba (ed.), Seven in the Eye of History. Pasig: Anvil Publishing, Inc., 2000.
- “Ang Pulitika ng Ancestral Domain,” In Ma. Luisa T. Camagay (ed.), Katipon Lecture Series. Quezon City: UP-CSSP, 1999.
- “Pagsulat sa Kasaysayang Walang Panulat: Ang Kaso ng mga Ayta ng Bataan,” In Ledevina V. Cariño and Ma. Luisa T. Camagay (eds.), Kasaysayang Lokal: Papers on Local History. Quezon City: Ugnayan ng Pahinungód, 1999 [With Chester Cabalza].
- “Globalization and the Marginalization of Indigenous Peoples,” In Papers of the XIIth AASSREC Biennial General Conference, 13-17 October 1997, Beijing, China. Beijing: Chinese Academy of Social Sciences and AASSREC, 1998.
- “Indigenous Knowledge Systems on Biodiversity Conservation and Management of the Ivatans of Batanes,” In Philippine Council for Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources Research and Development, People, Earth and Culture. Los Baños: PCARRD, 1998.
- “Ivatan: Pakikipamuhay sa mga Takda ng Panahon,” IPEG, 4-5 (March and December 1998): 33-58 [With Arnold Alamon, Yvonne Malupa, and Janella S. Cacdac].
- “Itbayat: Pamumuhay sa mga Takey,” IPEG, 4-5 (March and December 1998): 59-87 [With Arnold Alamon, Janella S. Cacdac, and Yvonne Malupa].
- “The Political Systems of the Indigenous Peoples of the Davao Region,” Southeastern Philippines Journal of Research and Development, III, 2 (December 1996): 63-80.
- “Ethnography or Espionage: The Problem of Ethics in Philippine Anthropology,” Aghamtao, VIII (1996): 120-129.
- “Kapangyarihan, Awtoridad at Moralidad sa Imnajbu,” IPEG, 2 (December 1996): 27-37.
- “Fieldwork Among the Tausugs,” IPEG, 1 (December 1995): 71-78.
- “Ang Kilusang Komunista sa Kordilyera: Pagtatagpo ng Taal at Katutubong Kultura,” Philippine Social Sciences Review, Special Issue (January-December 1994): 191-238.
- “Indigenous Knowledge as the Basis for Sustainable Alternative Livelihood: The Case of the Hanunoo Farming System,” In Proceedings of the Symposium/Workshop on Sustainable Alternative Livelihood. Quezon City: FSDI, 1994.
- “Using the Ethnographic Method in the Study of Indigenous Knowledge: The Case of the Hanunoo Farm Maintenance and Seed Storage System,” In Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Development in the Philippines. Silang: IIRR, 1994.
- “HOPE ‘87 in the Philippines,” HOPE ‘87 Newsletter, 1 (1993): 16-17.
- The Community-Based Child Monitoring System: Towards a Barangay Statistical System. Makati: National Statistical Coordination Board, 1991.
- “Paglilitis, Pamamagitan, Paghatol: Indigenous Concepts of Land Dispute Processing in Silang, Cavite,” PSSC Social Science Information, XVIII, 3 (July-September 1990): 27-36.
- “La révolution de février et la lutte pour l’autonomie de la Cordillère,” Le temps modernes, XLIV, 508 (Novembre 1988): 185-199.
“Why Balweg and the CPP Parted Ways,” Katipunan, I, 6 (April 1988): 11-14.
- “The Zigzag Route to Self-determination,” Diliman Review, XXXV, 5-6 (1987): 26-34.
- “Synthesis Report of the Cluster on Social Conflict,” New Asian Visions, IV, 2 (1987): 51-96 [With Francisco Nemenzo].