Specializes in the history of anthropology and historical anthropology. His writings on these subjects have been about the institutional and micro-histories of anthropology in the Philippines as a way to analyze the development of the anthropological discipline in the colonial and post-colonial contexts. He started his academic career in the University of the Philippines as a young historian but has gone multi-disciplinary which allowed him to explore intersections of history, culture, society and religion. He has a deep interest in popular devotion which was a topic for both his MA thesis and PhD dissertation. He is currently working along the lines of heritage, folklore and disaster from which he draw much of his applied research and engagements with the public.
He earned his BA History (cum laude), MA Archaeology and PhD Anthropology degrees from the University of the Philippines—Diliman. He served as Coordinator of the Folklore Studies Program of the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy and spearheaded activities promoting the study of folklore using multi-disciplinary approaches. He was appointed Field School Director in Tiwi, Albay which led to the publication of the edited book, “Ethnographies of Disaster: the 2009 Anthropology Field School, Tiwi, Albay,” supported by the Aquinas University of Legazpi in 2011. He authored a Senior High School worktext in the social sciences in 2016.
Research Interest and Specialization
History of Anthropology, Historical Anthropology, Heritage, Folklore, Popular Devotion, Disaster Risk Management for Heritage Collections
Geographical Areas / Field Sites
Bicol, Bulacan, BARMM
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (with Fr Howard P. Tatel). “Kaparian, Kapatiran, Kasaysayan: Personal na Salaysay ng Pakikipag-ugnayan sa OMI — Binhi ng Kolaborasyon ng Pananaliksk sa Mindanao.” In TALAS: Interdisiplinaryong Journal sa Edukasyong Pangkultura Volume 5. NCCA-Philippine Cultural Education Program, Manila. 2020.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. “Tabi-Tabi Folkloradyo sa DZUP 1602: Salugpungan ng Folklore, Agham Panlipunan at Philippine Studies sa Pangmadlang Komunikasyon,” sa TALAS: An Interdisciplinary Journal in Cultural Education. Manila: National Commission for Culture and the Arts. 2017
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. “Anthropology and Sociology at UP: Lessons from an Academic Union, 1914-1951,” in Philippine Sociological Review Vol. 62 (January – December 2014).
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. “Hala Bira! Cultural Lessons from Philippine Elections.” http://halalan.up.edu.ph/index.php/viewpoints/by-professors/159-hala-bira-halalan-cultural-lessons-from-philippine-elections. May 2013.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (with Arthur Navarro). “Sa Labas ng mga Bahay/Pinagtatrabahuhan: Mga Espasyo ng mga Migranteng Pinoy sa Urbanisadong Landskeyp ng Singapore, lalo na sa Lucky Plaza Mall.” Dalumat: Multikultural at Multidisiplinaryong E-Journal sa Araling Filipino. Tomo 3 (1 at 2). Enero at Hunyo, 2012
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. “The Non-Western Peoples as Filipinos: Mediating Notions of ‘Otherness’ in Photographs of the National Geographic Magazine of Early 20th century.” Gordon Matthews and Sidney Cheung (Eds.) Asian Anthropology. Volume 11. The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. 2011
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (Editor). Ethnographies of Disaster: the 2009 UP Anthropology Field School Tiwi, Albay. Aquinas University of Legazpi, Legazpi, Albay. July, 2011.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. “90 Years of Anthropology at the University of the Philippines: Examining Institutional History and Academic Dependency in a Southeast Asian University.” In Sinha-Kerkhoff, Kathinka R. and Syed Farid Alatas (Eds.). Academic Dependency in the Social Sciences: Structural Reality and Intellectual Challenges. Manohar Publishers, New Delhi, India. 2010
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. (with Michael Charleston Chua). “Sa ibayo ng mga Footnote: Tungo sa Pagsasakasaysayan ng Isyung Tasaday.” In AGHAM-TAO Journal of the Ugnayang Agham-Tao. Vol. 17 (2009)
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. “Ang Usapin ng Historical Archaeology sa Pag-aaral ng Nakaraang Pilipino,” in LAGDA: Refereed Journal of the UP Department of Filipino and Philippine Literaturticlee (Ang Filipino sa Iba’t Ibang Disiplina). 2005: 184-213.
- Tatel, Carlos Jr. P. “Ang Paghuhukay sa mga Labi ng Porta Vaga: Isang Kaso ng Pagsasagawa ng Dokyumentaryong Arkeolohiya sa Lungsod ng Cavite,” sa HUKAY 1:1. 1998