Janine P. Ochoa, MA
Room No. 1324
University of the Philippines - Diliman
Tel:+63 (2) 981-8500 loc 2114
I am an archaeologist interested in past human ecology and human landscapes. My specialization is in zooarchaeology, with a focus on terrestrial mammals and reptiles. I am interested in investigating past systems of ecological knowledge, palaeoenvironments, biogeographic patterns and island evolution in the Philippines and Southeast Asia. I am currently working on fossil vertebrate assemblages from various archaeological sites in Palawan.
- Past human ecology and landscapes
- Indigenous ecological knowledge systems
- Anthropogenic impact and environmental changes
- Mammalian island evolution in Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asian biogeography
- Zooarchaeology of Palawan and Luzon (Phd research)
- The Fossil Vertebrates of Palawan Island: Archaeological Evidence for Palaeoenvironmental Change and Human Impact
- Archaeology of Daku na Ilihan, Initao, Misamis Oriental
- Archaeology of Maraja Site, Brooke’s Point, Palawan
- Ochoa, J., V. Paz, H. Lewis, J. Carlos, E. Robles, N. Amano, R. Ferreras, M. Lara, G. Ve-larde, W. Ronquillo and W. Solheim II. 2014. The archaeology and palaeobiological record of Pasimbahan-Magsanib Site, northern Palawan, Philippines. Philippine Science Letters 7 (1): 22-36.
- Ochoa, J. and Piper, P. In press. Holocene Large Mammal Extinctions in Palawan Is-land, Philippines. In Monks, G. (ed.) Climate Change and Human Responses: a Zooarchaeological Perspective. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Robles, E., Piper, P.J., Ochoa, J., Lewis, H., Paz, V. J. and Ronquillo, W. 2015. Late Quater-nary sea level changes and the palaeohistory of Palawan Island, Philippines. Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology 10 (1) 76-96
- Piper, P. J., J. Ochoa, E. Robles, H. Lewis and V. Paz. 2011. Palaeozoology of Palawan Island, Philippines. Quaternary International 233: 142–158.
- Piper, P. J., J. Ochoa, H. Lewis, V. Paz and W. P. Ronquillo. 2008. The first evidence for the past presence of the tiger Panthera tigris (L.) on the island of Palawan, Philippines: Extinc-tion in an island population. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 264: 123–127.
- Lewis, H., V. Paz, M. Lara, H. Barton, P. Piper, J. Ochoa, T. Vitales, A. J. Carlos, T. Higham, L. Neri, V. Hernandez, J. Stevenson, E. C. Robles, A. Ragragio, R. Padilla, W. S. II and W. Ronquillo. 2008. Terminal Pleistocene to mid-Holocene occupation and an early cremation burial at Ille Cave, Palawan, Philippines. Antiquity 82: 318–335.